May 11, 2014
Mother’s Day! I have
spent the afternoon talking with my kids and grandkids……yeah!
I have an addition from last week that I forgot to put
in. On Monday, April 28th,
the Crockett’s invited us along with the Michie’s to come over at 7 for a
little Family Home Evening. They had a
brief lesson, some cookies, and mainly we visited. It was fun, but when I started yawning, it
was time to leave so I could get to bed.
This week on Monday it was our Senior Family Home Evening. It was the first one for the Crockett’s and
the Wahlen’s. We had an enjoyable
evening, as we usually do at these. It
is nice to be able to visit with the other seniors who we rarely see.
This week was pretty basic.
Oh, we had another close call…….we were driving home on Capitol (speed
50 mph) in the far left of the 3 lanes, going over the overpass that crosses
Monterey, when all of a sudden there was a car just stopped and sitting there
with no one in it. I slammed on the
brakes, and, looking in the rearview mirror,
saw a car heading straight at us. I kept
saying, please don’t hit me, please don’t hit me……and they slammed on their
brakes and swerved into the other lane.
Gary said he was glad he couldn’t see that car coming. On another day, we checked out the skid marks
that car had made. That’s 3 close calls
I’ve had. I really hope we don’t have an
accident here, but I told Gary early on after seeing how the driving was around
here that if we survived this mission without an accident it will be a
miracle!! I bet we have an accident a
week in the mission with the missionaries and their cars…..it sure seems that
way anyway. There are a lot of
accidents.
We have enjoyed reading what friends of ours also on
missions have to say in their weekly news email.
Oh, the Michie’s gave us a cactus leaf to cook. I haven’t done it yet, and I think they
guessed we probably wouldn’t, so Sister Michie made up a dish and brought us a
sample. It had cactus, hamburger,
tomatoes and I don’t know what else in it, but it was pretty good! Gary was so-so about it. Still, I don’t know if I will use up the
cactus or not. Especially if he said
only so-so. The Michie’s served several
missions in Mexico, so learned some other food dishes while there.
Yesterday morning we went to the temple with our Vietnamese
Branch. We invited the other 2 office
workers, Sister Nedreberg and Sister Wilks to go with us. We had a good day, stopping for dinner at
Applebee’s…….Gary said he was buying, as it was his Mother’s Day gift for all of us.
Oh, a funny of the week.
I had one of the sister missionaries who used to be in the area near the
office, so we saw her a lot, Sister Arias, call and ask about ordering a back
foam roller for therapy like Sister Fischetti had gotten on Amazon. I said I needed to have Sister Fischetti in
the office to make sure I picked the right one, and asked her to text Sis.
Fischetti about it. Well, later that day
Sis. F came in, but hadn’t heard from Sis. A.
So I called her to get going on the order. I logged in (the missionaries can’t do it
because it is against the rules for them to get on the internet except on
P-days to email family). As I was doing
the order, I needed to get her credit card information to pay. She said her companion was buying it, Sister
Boyd. So, we got that all straightened
out—it wasn’t for Sis. A after all.
Okay, back to the story----Sis. Boyd gives me her info., and I need
billing address. She starts giving me
the address of her home town……it is Flower Mound, Texas! I say, you are from Flower Mound? I have a daughter who lives in Highland
Village! And in the next office, Sister
Wilks says, who is from Flower Mound?
Turns out her son lives in Flower Mound, and her daughter-in-law is a
counselor in the stake Relief Society Presidency…..which is the same stake
Melissa is in. Small world!!!
Well, today in Sacrament meeting, the talks were all about mothers,
naturally. But, I have to say it was the
strangest feeling to be in a Sacrament Meeting on mother’s day where there wasn’t
a Primary chorus singing Mother’s Day songs!
We only have 2 primary age children (only 1 after this month…..Kara
Nguyen turns 12) and they attend primary with the 16th ward which
meets at the same time we do. So it was
a little different. Kara was one of the
speakers, and did a really good job. Clark
Nguyen (age 8), the other primary age child, brother of Kara, also spoke. His talk was cute. He talked about all the things he loved about
his mother, then at the end said something like, “PS, I love my mom but I love
my grandma too, and without my grandma, my mom wouldn’t be here, and I wouldn’t
be here either.” His grandma is in our
branch also. We also had I think it was 3 other speakers. Each spoke for 5 minutes or less.
Well, that about sums up the week! Next week we have Zone Conferences. So, I will be spending the majority of the
week in the office alone, as the rest of them have duties to do at the
conferences. They go Tuesday through
Friday, with three zones meeting each day at a location near to those zones.
Oh, and the temperatures are supposed to be in the 90’s
again this week, close to 100 on Wednesday.
Bye!
No comments:
Post a Comment