December 1, 2013
Another week done.
This was a good week. We worked
Monday – Wednesday, and the days were calm, not too busy, so for Gary, he was
able to get paperwork done and get things stocked and organized. Our goal is to leave the office more
organized and better than we found it. Like we should do in everything we do....leave better for those who follow behind. I
did things in my office towards that goal also.
Thursday, November 28th was Thanksgiving. We slept in….felt good!.....then took it easy
in the morning. Had the Macy’s parade
on, and Gary watched some football. We
took a walk around noon. At just before
2, we headed to the Crawford’s house for Thanksgiving dinner. There were a total of 15 of us for the first
part of the visiting, 9 adults and 6 young missionaries…2 sets of Elders and 1
set of Sisters. They were: Sister Packer, Sister Anderson, Elder
Bruggeman, Elder Hullinger, Elder Wieland, Elder Larson…..the young
missionaries. The adults were: Bob & Linda Crawford, Kim Loan-Le (from
Bayshore Branch), Elder and Sister Clayton, Sister Chambers, Sister Hammer, and
us. Kim didn’t get to stay for dinner,
as her daughter got into town earlier than she thought, and she had to
leave. It was so nice to have a nice
Thanksgiving dinner, and good company, and to relax! I finally felt relaxed and settled for the
first time, I think. I think I have just
been so stressed and uptight for so long that I didn’t know how to relax any
more. But it was nice being in a normal
home, doing normal things that it was just NICE!
Friday, we went back to work, but it was an okay day
again. The Clayton’s invited us to go
with them Saturday evening to Temple Hill for the opening Christmas program and
the lighting ceremony. So, Sat., we slept in a bit, did the laundry, cleaning, baked
bread, heard an AT&T commercial on TV that just makes us laugh every time we hear...it reminds us of Sophie so much, so we Face Timed with Kori and all the company at her house (Missy’s family) so we could hear Sophie say Kindergarten like the little girl in the commercial. We ran
out of time for grocery shopping, so will have to do it after work one evening
next week I guess. Left at about 3:30
for the Clayton’s. Rode up in their
truck to Oakland for the Christmas program.
It was called The Magic of Christmas.
There was singing, an orchestra, an organist who did a pre-show with
carols on the organ, and dancers. It was a very enjoyable evening! I forgot to take my camera up though, so we definitely need to go up again to get a picture of the lights up the palm trees! We stopped for dinner after at Applebee’s
with them. So, all in all, last week was
really good!
Up at the Oakland Temple, there is something every day/night at either the auditorium next to the temple or the visitor's center....some type of Christmas entertainment by various groups, some from other religions. Hopefully we can make it to some more.
Today at church, Elder Bruggeman was translating. As we walked in, he asked us not to bear our
testimonies today, as it is harder for him to go from English to
Vietnamese. He had to do it twice
anyway…..Brother Poelman, the high councilman, gave the opening prayer and gave
the last testimony.
Last week Elder Hullinger translated. I don’t know if they are alternating weeks
till a new person gets called, or what.
It is kind of funny, though. They
talk TO us! I think they forget that
maybe others have the headsets on too, like Bro. Poelman. Today, towards the end of Sac. Mtg., Elder Bruggeman said, “Sister Yearsley, have Elder Hullinger get up and bear his testimony”..I
think he was afraid of one of us English speaking people getting up…..well,
Bro. Poelman got up!
Then, in Relief Society, I learned a good thought to remember. Complaining is the opposite of
Gratitude. This will now stick in my
mind like the thought that Fear is the opposite of Faith. Both can’t be present at the same time. So, if we have Faith, we shouldn’t Fear. If we have Gratitude, we shouldn’t
Complain. Good reminder for me.
So, all in all, a WONDERFUL week.....Thanksgiving with good friends, then the beginning of the Christmas season program at the temple grounds!
No comments:
Post a Comment